My sister just posted on her blog a list of things that she is afraid of, and I had been thinking of writing a post about Daylight Savings Time and how it ruins my life every six months, and then I realized that the turning of the clocks for Daylight Savings Time is one of those things I am afraid of. I am afraid that I will turn the clock the wrong way and be late for everything for a day. I am afraid that Hallie will never get back on to her sleep schedule and keep waking up at five every morning (every morning since Sunday morning when we made the switch... sigh.) When I hear her little cry piercing through my sleep, my heart stops and my stomach sinks into the vicinity of my colon and I think "Why do we mess with time?"
Why do we mess with time? (I do actually know why we do it, I just mean, like the big WHY. As in throwing my hands up, and my head back towards the heaven and shouting - WHY do we mess with time? See how dramatic that is?)
So the other things I am afraid of, in case you were wondering:
1. Moths - although lately you would be sooo proud of me. When they flutter around the light outside the garage and our front door at night when I'm coming home I just take a deep breath and sort of try not to focus on them, and I just go right past!
2. Worms - so these nasty little creatures still make me a little sick, and the other day Hallie stepped on one the size of an anaconda and I thought I might lose my lunch, but I held it all inside and Devin kicked it out of sight. I guess I'm still working on that one.
3. Being stabbed in the back - I tell myself the odds of this are highly unlikely, but I still get twitchy alone at night.
4. Being in a car accident - Really the fear is that I will be killed in a car accident. Also, fairly unlikely, but this list is about irrational fears, so it belongs.
5. Mirrors in the dark - Thank you Disney. They made a horrible movie in the 80's (?) called "Watcher in the Woods". I've been uncomfortable with mirrors in the dark ever since.
6. Something bad happening to Devin - well he runs in the morning, and he gets chased by dogs, and he rides his bike to work and when he's ten or fifteen minutes later coming home than I expect him to be I have to take a deep breath and tell myself to chill out.
7. Daylight Savings Time - as previously discussed.
So, those are the main things that I am afraid of. What about you?