SOS Crisis Emergency Round TWO

Here's the deal.  I made a new friend a few weeks ago.  Yes, that's a good thing.  She invited me to come to a party? celebration? holiday festivities? of some sort.  Yes, that's a good thing.

What you need to know is that she is Muslim, and this is Eid al-Adha that she has invited me to celebrate with her family, and all of her Muslim friends.  Again, that's great and I'm really looking forward to it.

Trouble is, that I am in fact not Muslim, nor do I know much about their customs.  So, when I talked to  her she said her little girls would be wearing dresses. That's easy enough, I can have my girls wear dresses. And then, fool that I am, I asked her what I should wear, like what would she be wearing?

She's a nice person so she didn't let me feel awkward, but I still don't really know what to wear. She told me I could wear a dress if I wanted to, but that I should just wear whatever I will be comfortable in.  I don't know what that is!

This is where you come in.  What should I wear? I have dresses, obviously, but I am afraid that all of them will just emphasize my different-ness, rather than anything resembling blending in.  But then, maybe nothing I have will "blend in"?



Am I making too much out of this whole thing? Also, just for fun, Devin's side of the closet:


Comments

  1. You should dress as if you are on your way to an afternoon class at Purdue and that cute guy will be there. That will be as regular a look as you are capable of. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, your closet is so organized... Well done! Secondly, I say wear your long brown skirt with a more casual top, like a nice t-shirt. Comfortable and semi-dressed-up. Didn't see your shoes, but maybe some sandals. That's my opinion! But I am sure whatever you wear will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading a little about the celebration it sounds like a Sunday best sort of occasion. I would wear one of your long skirts and a long sleeve top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, i was going to suggest something similar. I know a thing or two about a few muslims, here and there (haha), and i would suggest sunday clothes, but of the more casual variety. Long skirt, long shirt. no cleavage. hahaha (yeah right, you? cleavage? haha)
    and i wouldnt worry too much about it. just be comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Consensus is to wear your best clothes.

    Even if you don't match them at all, you will probably show respect by wearing nice clothes.

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101101030257AAW9RIh

    Also, check out this fabulous sheep: http://muslimmatters.org/2010/11/15/eid-al-adha-important-reminders/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I totally had a dream last night about you going to the party... hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I agree with what has been said. You're not going to look like you fit in no matter what you wear, so if your girls are wearing dresses, then you should wear your Sunday best, too, to show respect.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ThanksGIVEaway

Come Take a Tour

Finally, A Diagnosis and Imposter Syndrome, Too