A Letter to Nicole

Dear Nicole -
Would you like to hear about my trip to Moab for the Rose Family Reunion?  It was a near perfect vacation, except for one small thing.  You weren't there.  You're probably wondering why you should have been there. A fair question, since you aren't a member of the Rose family.
When we drove into Colorado Devin and I were playing a game called, "How far away is that structure, or landmark?" And then we'd watch on the odometer until we went past it to see how far away the farthest thing we could see was. (The farthest we got was 14 miles or so.) As we played and marveled at the distance we could see across the landscape, Devin said, "Yeah, but really the farthest we can see are those mountains." And I said, "We can't see any mountains yet." And Devin said, "Yeah we can, they are right there." Now, in my defense, I was driving, so my focus was really mainly on the road, not the horizon. As he said that though, I looked to see what he saw, and at first all I saw was land met by endless blue sky. But suddenly, like one of those 3D pictures, the mountains popped out at me, and I could no longer focus so well on the road, as my gaze kept being redirected back to that first incredible view of the mountains.  I wished you were there.

As we drove further into Colorado we kept seeing signs for Greeley and Estes Park. I wished you were there.  How can I drive through Colorado without you?

When we got to Moab we went on some hikes, climbing up the rocky mountainside.  It was strenuous, and beautiful, and the view was breathtaking.  I wished you were there. Who else jumps and dances while hiking?
We had sandwiches every day for lunch.  I will have you know that I am a reformed peanut butter spreader.  The memory of you sitting so patiently impatient as I made my sandwiches those long ago summer days made me smile as I prepared lunch for Hallie and Hanna, and I wished you were there.  You would be so proud at the speed with which I can put together a pb and j these days.
 We went swimming almost every day also.  The girls like the water, but they really could have benefited from an experienced, personal swimming instructor who comes complete with Jiggly Puff impressions. I wished you were there.  You still do Jiggly Puff, I hope...

We did swim in regular pools too, but here are the girls with Grandma in the Colorado River.
On the way home we stayed with Melissa's in-laws.  It was so nice to stop for the night, and to have a real home to stay in complete with delicious dinner and breakfast.  Obviously the best part was getting to see Melissa and meet her little boys (how did I not get a picture?) The only problem was I just kept feeling like we should have been in a barn, just blocks away from the ocean, with Al, Mimi, and Toby, Old Soakers and ice cream. Obviously, I so wished you were there.  Reunion someday?

Well, all in all it was a fantastic vacation.  All I'm saying is that maybe next time I can pack you in my suitcase?  Or there's always plan B.  I have two girls, you have two boys, surely we can get a match in there somewhere.  Do you want to see more pictures of some hikes?
At the top of our hike. For a little perspective, that's our car.

Devin and his brothers at Delicate Arch. Yes, the famous one on the Utah license plates.
This picture was an accident. AND I love it.
Thanks for a wonderful vacation, Rose family. It was just what we needed.  Can Nicole come next time?

Comments

  1. Of course! You can bring anyone or anything that makes you happy! Glad it was a good vacation for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally fun, Ames! When I started reading I was like, Who is Nicole? Am I the Nicole? Is this about me? And I'll admit I got a little rush when I realized it was.

    I'd love to head back to the home of my birth, and I wish I had been there too! Colorado plus Amy is hard to beat.

    I'm glad you had so much fun, and that you thought of me. You rock. You're a champ. I wish you lived next door.

    Miss you. Miss you. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Amy,

    WHY didn't we take any pictures!?!?!?! WHY?????

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Moab picture (that was definitely breath taking!) seriously looked like you photoshopped yourself onto a post card. It was so beautiful!

    Aww I wasn't there, but I remember your Colorado trip!

    Good times. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. um...i definitely want in on this reunion in Maine. Seriously. And the family photo of your legs. Greatness! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ThanksGIVEaway

Come Take a Tour

Well, That Was Unexpected