The Man On The Moon Dances with Blue Horses That Are Polar Bears

Here are a few of our little stories from this week.

Two or three (or more) nights out of the week Heather gets out of her bed and crawls into "mother's bed", as she calls it.  It doesn't bother me, as long as she is quiet and falling asleep I am happy with it.

Tonight as I tucked her in "mother's bed" I realized that our curtains were still wide open, and the full moon was shining brightly down, it's light landing gently right on my pillow.  I knew it would keep me awake, so I asked her if she wanted me to close the curtains, or if she wanted to fall asleep looking at the moon.

She whispered back at me, "Looking at the moon, mother."

I kissed her forehead and said, "ok, the moon will watch you sleep and keep you safe."

She turned away from the moon to look at me, "Who will watch me sleep, mother?"

"Well, the man in the moon of course," I answered her, wondering how old I was the first time someone told me about the man in the moon.

Heather lay quietly for just a second, and then, "Oh, Jesus."


A few days ago I asked Hallie what she did in science class that day.  She told me that they had each chosen a book to read about an animal, then they drew pictures of the animal, and then they got to give a short presentation telling what they had learned about their animal.

"Oh, that sounds fun.  What animal did you choose, Hallie?" I asked her.

"I chose the polar bear.  And then I was one of the kids that got to tell about it.  But they said it looked like a blue horse."

"Mr. Graham said your polar bear looked like a horse?"

"No, one of the kids said it did. But it was really a polar bear, mom."

I nodded my head and didn't think much more about the whole thing until we got home and I was tidying up the counter in the kitchen, you know that place where every single thing that ever comes into your home gets dumped?

And there it was, and I couldn't help but laugh. Just a tiny little bit, and I made sure no one was around first. Then of course I took a picture to show you.


Hallie's Polar Bear That Is Obviously Not A Blue Horse

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ThanksGIVEaway

Come Take a Tour

Well, That Was Unexpected