Hanna Plans Her Life

The other day we were driving around in the car, as we do.   Hanna began contemplating what life had in store for her.

"But, mommy," she began thoughtfully, "I can't marry daddy because he is already married.  To you."

I didn't understand yet where this was going.  "That's true, Daddy married me."  I told her, looking both ways before turning left and probably not really listening to her at all.

"So, but mommy.  But who am I going to marry then, since I can't marry daddy?" I looked at her in the rearview mirror. She was looking out the window at the Christmas lights on the houses as we drove past in the early evening dusk.

"Oh." I was listening now, and trying not to laugh.  "Well, Hanna, how about you marry one of the other boys you know, like --- or ---- or ---." I said, listing the names of some of the boys she knows.

"Mom.  I can't marry them.  They are just little boys." Her voice full of disdain and heavy with emphasis, she probably rolled her eyes at me but I didn't catch it in the rearview mirror.

"Well, Hanna, you know you are a little girl.  Those boys will keep growing up, and someday when you are big and tall and strong and looking around thinking about who you want to marry, they will be just your size too."  I tried my best to explain.

"Oooooooooooh." She gets it now, I thought.  "Ok, mommy, I will find one of those boys to marry someday then, when they are all grown up."

"Good plan, Hanna." I gave her my approval.  It's basically an arranged marriage now.  Set in stone and no backing out with cold feet and all that.

"Mommy, when I grow up and marry one of those boys, I am going to be the one who goes to work, and I am going to be the momma.  OK?"  I nodded my head in agreement.

"Sure, if that's what you really want for yourself someday, then that's what you'll do."  I said to her.

"And I want to be a ballet instructor for my job."  Oh dear, things were getting complicated now.  "So mom.  WHEN are YOU going to TEACH me BALLET?"

I guess I better sign her up for ballet lessons.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ThanksGIVEaway

Come Take a Tour

Well, That Was Unexpected