Crochet

I first tried to learn how to crochet in high school.  My mom was teaching me, and it did not end well.  Tears and hysteria, mainly, is what I recall.  I was not good at it immediately, and that made me angry, and so of course like any good teenager, I quit.

Years later, I had a friend who tried to teach me how again.  This time I was diligent.  I was pregnant with Hanna and so sick and uncomfortable (hernia, anyone?) and Hallie was just a year old and so the only thing connecting me to my sanity was practicing crochet.  I remember sitting on that couch, stitching and stitching and stitching but it was never to my satisfaction, in fact the only thing I could make were lumpy triangles and so I would pull all the yarn out and start again. And again. And again.

Then Hanna was born and I put it all aside once more, almost deciding that crochet was not for me.  I had tried it, I had given it a fair shot, and I had failed.  I moved on with life.

Four years later, Hazel was born.  After she was born I was pretty much just an ugly mess of a human.  I had three little kids and a newborn baby to take care of now, and I just couldn't afford to not be present, so I was desperate for something, anything, that could take my mind off my body and it's pains and complaints so I could at least be present in the room and try to take care of my family.

I remember pushing the cart around walmart while I waited for the oil to be changed on the car.  (Last time I ever took the car there for an oil change, literally.)  I was just meandering, trying to keep the kids interested so they wouldn't turn Lord of the Flies on me in boredom, but also trying to avoid the toy aisle, need I explain?

That's how we found ourselves in the arts and crafts section, and that's how I found myself staring at a book with bright and pretty pictures called, "Teach Yourself to Crochet."

I still remember the sound of the voice in my head that said, "enough is enough.  This time, we're doing it."

I bought the little book, and spent the next two years practicing.  It has pretty much saved if not my actual life, then the quality of my life.  

If you want to check out my shop, and follow along and see where this journey takes me, I would love to have you!
Cozy Rose Home is where you'll find me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ThanksGIVEaway

Come Take a Tour

Well, That Was Unexpected