Hanna Turns Six and I Think



Hanna's birthday was a few weeks ago and in the days since then I have been thinking a lot about her, and about life, and have generally been overcome with all kinds of emotions.  There is exactly a week between Hallie's birthday and Hanna's and in that gap I went down to Texas to be with my family there and help out any way I could.  The juxtaposition of going from a birthday for an eight year old, to spending a week with my dad, aunt, and uncle who are all now grandparents, and my grandmother who is 95, and then rushing back home for the birthday of a six year old made quite an impression on me. 

This is what I do, 
and so I do it. 
not sure if I am good at it,
I know surely I'm not bad. 
and this is what I do and so I do it. 

Those in my care can be noisy,
unpredictable,
and at times might even
appear
to be broken. 
But what I have is mine 
and I will always claim them.

When all of it comes crashing down
and there is more than I can hold
I tell myself once more,
this is what I do
and so I do it.

I do it not for glory
or acclaim,
and for this job
few will praise my name.

But this is what I do
and so I do it. 

I love you Hanna, thank you for giving me a job to do every day. Sometimes I think it is too much of a job for me, but then you are always there with open arms, and open heart.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ThanksGIVEaway

Come Take a Tour

Well, That Was Unexpected