Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Quotes

I love quotes and phrases and statements and words.  Above all things, I love words.  I love what people can do with words.  I like witty and clever.  I like funny and absurd.  I like profound and meaningful.  I like it, I like it, I like it.

Various people through the years have noticed my affinity, and have helped me collect quotes.  Today I was going through my collection and thought to myself how much I just like them.  I mean, I like the people who helped collect these quotes for me, and I like the quotes themselves.  Just to clarify.  You know, because sometimes language is confusing.

Words!

Are you ready for this? 

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you.  I was doing great, but then I ran out of stars."  (So cheesy! Can you imagine actually saying that to someone?!  I love it!)

"Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."

"Eat a live toad first thing in the morning. That way, nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day."

"I do not run to add days to my life - I run to add life to my days."

"If you think something small cannot make a difference, try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room."

"Worrying is like a rocking chair.  It keeps you busy but gets you nowhere."

"Live today like you want to be remembered tomorrow."

"I always knew looking back on the tears would make me laugh, but I never knew that looking back on the laughs would make me cry."

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

"Never fear shadows: they only mean there is a light nearby."

"No one will ever win the battle of the sexes; there's too much fraternizing with the enemy."

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

"Hope for the best, expect the worse, and always go through with a smile."

"When you come to the edge of all that you know, faith is believing that one of two things will happen: there will be something solid to stand on, or you will learn to fly."

"When you are really stressed out, the cure is to stuff two mini marshmallows up your nose and try to snort them out."

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"

"Your mother will find out if you die your hair purple."

"Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects."

"A diamond is a piece of coal that finished what it started."

"The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears."

"Everything will be ok in the end. So if it isn't ok, then it isn't the end."

"Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers."

"Nothing spoils the taste of peanut butter like unrequited love."

"Nobody is perfect until you fall in love with them."

"I don't make you feel special, I just remind you that you are special."



Ok, so there's a taste.  What are your favorite quotes?

Note: these quotes in particular that I have shared today were collected while I was in college, if that explains anything to you.
Note: when I say I love words above all things, I mean of course words are directly below: my family, my friends, flowers, Thomas S. Monson, the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith, cats, babies, bacon, and chocolate.

11 comments:

  1. Good Quotes, Ames! Some sound familiar! Also I'm pretty sure I still have our college quote book in which some pretty ridiculous things were said! I will need to find that! ~Crunchers

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one I sent this week to my two sons serving missions. It is in the Book of Mormon Institute Manual
    Moroni 10:17–18. How Can We Experience Gifts of the Spirit?
    Elder Gene R. Cook discussed the strength of discovering and using the spiritual gifts given to each person: “One of the great processes you go through in life is to discover yourself, to find those gifts and capacities God has given you. He has given you great talents, the smallest part of which you have just begun to utilize. Trust the Lord to assist you in unlocking the door to those gifts. Some of us have created imaginary limits in our minds. There is literally a genius locked up inside each of us. Don’t ever let anyone convince you otherwise” (“Trust in the Lord,” in Hope[1988], 90–91).

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here's another one I got from Christina:
    “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
    Used by Nelson Mandela in his 1994 inaugural speech

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. These ones made me laugh: "No one will ever win the battle of the sexes; there's too much fraternizing with the enemy."

    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

    "Nothing spoils the taste of peanut butter like unrequited love."

    I remembered a number of them. I love words, too. So powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Always remember who you are, and don't let it get you down."

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Always remember who you are, and don't let it get you down."

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Always remember who you are, and don't let it get you down."

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Always remember who you are, and don't let it get you down."

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Always remember who you are, and don't let it get you down."

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Always remember who you are, and don't let it get you down."

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Always remember who you are, and don't let it get you down."

    ReplyDelete