Thursday, September 19, 2013

On My Desktop

Right now my desktop is full of coloring page images of random things that I downloaded from the internet: an apple, an ant, a bookworm, a butterfly, a cupcake, an ice cream cone, a bird, a dog, a baby, a door, a dragon, a school bus, a little boy by a stream...

Some of it is for teaching the tiny people music at church, some of it is for Hallie, some of it is for Hanna, but all of it is because I am a huge nerd.  Apparently, you can take the teacher out of the classroom, but you can't take the teacher out of me.

In case anyone else is interested, here are some of the things we've been cooking up over here.

To help Hallie practice her sight words, I put these cute apples into powerpoint, wrote her sight words on them in a font I downloaded (huge new hobby there), and then printed them, colored them red, and taped them to the wall.  As Hallie learns new sight words, her bookworm will enjoy eating more apples.


I colored the bookworm too, and Devin will attest to the fact that I sort of have a little crush on him.  I think he's kind of the cutest thing, ever.  Yes, I know. Weird.







I also used the apples in a lesson for Hanna, I printed ten of these apples, some large and some small, and then I cut off the leaves of some, and colored some green and some red. Then we counted the apples, found the differences between them, and counted each according to what was different. (How many green? How many big? How many with leaves?)

At school Hallie was tested in letter recognition, and she got all of them except for "fancy g", and apparently had some trouble discerning between the lower case "b" and "d".  She also wants to practice writing her name with lower case letters.  I cooked this up for her.

If you'd like something similar with your child's name on it, let me know and I'll see what I can cook up for you.

The little boy by the stream I printed and colored to use as my visual to cue the littles (ages 18 months to 3 years old) in nursery when we will sing "Give Said the Little Stream".  He is in competition with the bookworm for cutest thing I've ever colored.


And back to the apples, I made this maze for Hanna to begin recognizing lower case letter "a".  Help the ant get to the apple!

And to be clear, this post is mostly for me so that if I delete these things from my computer they are still saved somewhere, just in case I ever want them again.

8 comments:

  1. These are so awesome Amy!!! How did u make Them?? Like using word? Love the maze. can u email it to me? I would love to use it if that's ok?
    some of your posts sound like u doubt your awesomeness sometimes. don't doubt it. u are amazing and not just for doing this stuff, but just bc u are putting forth effort.

    I love reading your blog, it has been really inspiring me lately. thanks. :)

    Kara
    ps sorry blogger isn't letting me sign into my google account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally email this to you, but I'm actually not sure which Kara this is, I know more than one Kara... :) maybe send me a message on facebook so I know who to email it to!

      Delete
    2. Haha e-mail it to all the Karas in your life. Problem solved. They'll thank you later. ;)

      Delete
  2. ooh, the apple maze is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And those are super fun. I used that same font for Jill's name, too. :) It's pretty cool. And your maze is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ames, you're a champion. Next year you homeschool. I'll bring my kids over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THE MAZE! And the B D worksheet. So so awesome. Ammon is in preschool, since he turns 5 in December he won't do Kindergarten until next year. We waited to do preschool since I'm not home in the evenings, and preschool is during the day, and I didn't want to give up my time with him. I still don't. We've also been using the Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons book, which we like a lot, though Ammon usually takes two or three sessions on each lesson before moving to the next. He's getting the hang of things. I'd love some of the links you used for your worksheets, amazing lady.

    ReplyDelete