Thursday, August 15, 2013

Amazing Guacamole

Every Monday in August, if you spend 20 dollars on fresh produce at the grocery store, you get 20 cents off per gallon at the gas station.  There I was, wandering around trying to buy 20 dollars worth of apples and bananas and what else did we need? With the things in our own garden getting ripe the whole project started to seem kind of silly, but then come on!  20 cents off per gallon!*

Then I thought, guacamole!  And, bonus, I had just read an article that said the avocado had been voted the world's most perfect food.  I tried desperately to remember the ingredients for my sister's most delicious guacamole of all, and we scurried home.

I tried to make the guacamole, but I just couldn't find the recipe.  I did my best anyway, and luckily all I had forgotten was the lime, but lemon juice worked in a tight pinch.

But yesterday, when I was going through the giant mountain of papers of doom I found it!  And now I share it on my blog, so that whenever I get an itch for guacamole, I have it, saved here for all of time.  Also, because maybe you like guacamole too, and would also like to have the most perfect recipe.

Mimi's Fantastically Fabulous and Deliciously Fresh and Tasty Guacamole

avocados (2), mashed
onion (2-3 tbsp), chopped
tomatoes (2), chopped
minced garlic (1 tsp)
lime (1) squeezed
serrano pepper (1), chopped
clasico tahin con limon spice mixture

Alright, so a few notes. I have never been able to find serrano peppers at my grocery store, but I have only checked the one closest to me. If I made a more valiant effort I might be able to, but I just don't see myself explaining to three tiny whining creatures why they are going to another store.  I use jalapeno peppers, and they seem to work just fine.

The lemon juice instead of the lime juice worked ok, but it does taste better with lime.  Note to self: never ever forget the lime again.

The clasico tahin con limon spice mixture I've never had in my own kitchen, it's just one of the super cool things my sister has in her kitchen.  Last time I made this recipe I called her and she told me what the main ingredients were and I tried to just recreate it, but I completely forgot about it all together this time, so... maybe it isn't necessary at all.  Although, again if you do manage to get your fingers into some, it probably does make it taste better.  I am sure my sister will leave a comment telling us all what this clasico tahin con limon spice mixture is, because that's how she rolls.

*Which added up to me getting $7 off at the pump, thanks to a few other items on sale.  Sure, I'll take it.

YAY guacamole.

4 comments:

  1. Haha. I feel so silly. It is just regular guacamole!

    And I have no idea what saroyan peppers are. I'm not sure how that happened, but I use serrano peppers or jalapenos, if I can't find serranos. Sorry that I lead you astray. Did I give you the recipe over the phone? Maybe that is what happened.

    Clasico tahin con limón is yummy. And downstairs. But when I am more awesome, I will go get it and read it to you. I love it. I use it in my salsa and a lot of dishes, too.

    Yay for seven dollars off at the pump!!! I am glad the lemon worked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha, serrano! I probably... got confused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I was using my "clasico tahin con limon" yesterday, and I noticed that stamped on the lid it says, "This is not a candy." Hahaha Did I show that to you when I was giving you the recipe? I love that the seasoning maker felt the need to say that.

    ReplyDelete