Friday, May 29, 2009

What's Happening Here?

I get slightly stressed sometimes because Hallie will never play by herself. If she is doing something quietly by herself I get nervous because by now I know that that means she is doing something I would not approve of if I could see her. What this means is that she is either being naughty, or trailing around behind me screaming and yelling because I won't play with her. Playing with her entails me sitting with all of her toys moving them around and playing with them myself, while she stares at me like, "goodness gracious mom, you're weird." Sometimes, SOMETIMES I am graced with a laugh. Recently my good friend AL gave her a stuffed animal that is a kitty. (I was going to say stuffed kitty, but that felt weird.) She loves kitty, so she does finally have something that she will sort of play with, although the game there is she brings him to me, and I make him meow and pet him and then she dances. So I still have to be involved. Is this common? Is this how all kids this age play? I don't know. I thought as she got older she would start to play with her toys more, but then I found this video. I'm not sure how old it is, but I think she's probably about 13 months old... and it ruined all my theories:


Now I don't even know what to think. She obviously at one time was able to play with her toys. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. i am glad kitty is no longer just collecting dust in my old bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juli (Tumey) McFarlandMay 31, 2009 at 3:11 PM

    Throw all theories out the window. Once you think you figured out your child, they change. It's the bittersweet of parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are dealing with a very bright child who wants to learn all the time. She needs interaction and stimulation to learn, and you are the best interacter and stimulator she knows. She is bored with toys because you are such a better toy, more interesting and exciting.
    Try to figure out things that will challenge her, for example take her outside, take her to the library. Also remember the law of the harvest, whatever you give her now you will get back when she goes through the next set of terrible two's (age 9-10).

    ReplyDelete